CALMUS Film is a software tool that enables you to create
a film or TV score in the editing room or on set.
Create a unique work of music based on the progress of the film while in the editing room or even on set using CALMUS Film.
CALMUS Film features a customised library of sounds and musical ideas, offering real time composition and modification of the musical material allowing the film and music directors participate in the composition process. Using this software you can develop and control the progression of the music in accordance to other factors, such as the atmosphere and input from the film director. By using CALMUS Film possibilities open up to allow the elements in the piece, such as the story, characters, and lighting to influence the production's music in real-time. Actors, directors, and even editors can affect the tension and colour of the soundscape in accordance with the dynamics of each work. The score can then be played back using digital instruments via the software or exported to a notations tool for traditional or electronic instruments.
Designed for traditional and electronic instruments
CALMUS Film includes various compositional tools to modify and transfer individual musical objects using both traditional and contemporary composition tools and methods for traditional and electronic instruments. It is constructed for contemporary music and addresses musical problems that occur in music, providing functions and options to handle them by using artificial intelligence. The texture of the music is determined by the type of polyphony and melodies used in the composition process and by the development of them.
With CALMUS Film you can work with different polyphony settings, such as:
with individual voices where all voices within the composition are melodically independent but can be harmonically connected;
with horizontal-vertical voices that come from the syntax of a method frequently used in Twelve-Tone Music;
with homophonic voices where all voices share the same attack time points as the first melody.
Using this method CALMUS creates a canon type texture where the voices share the same or similar arguments, resembling at a certain level the texture of the traditional canonic polyphony. CALMUS Film manipulates the composer’s musical input to create extended musical work. You can at any given moment change the progression of the music according to your own artistic inclination.
Benefits of using CALMUS Film for film/TV score composing
- Includes an extensive library of sounds and musical ideas.
- Real time manipulation of the composition.
- Less time needed to compose, edit, and record music resulting in cost savings.
- Other participants (director, editor, instrumentalists, etc.) can affect the development of the musical work.
- Synchronise it with other music tools.
- Use both traditional and contemporary composition tools and methods.
- Works with CALMUS Notation to feed notations to instrumentalists.
- Export scores directly into traditional notation for recording with traditional instruments.
- Control parameters such as speed, rhythm, and colour independently.